Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My First Art Quilt Adventure

This quilt was created in a class with Annette Kennedy at Quilting Adventures in NewBranfels, Texas.     After drawing a pattern to size, the pieces were cut from fusible backed fabric and raw edge appliquéd onto a muslin background.  The fabric I used for the rose was hand dyed and I worked to choose the portions of the fabric that most clearly denoted the light and shadow patterns.  Small amounts of transparent paints were used to round the edges and blend the transitions from light to shadow.  This piece began my love for painting on fabric and the quest for realism in my work.  I named this quilt PLUM FROST after the rose it represents.  The rose that I saw growing in the Portland Rose Garden was a beautiful plum color on the front of the petal and a  pearl white on the back.  Very impressive rose!!!!


4 comments:

  1. Looking very, very good!

    Brenda D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m reminded of the song from "The Sound of Music;" "Let's start at the very beginning.....a very good place to start."

    Laura J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I look forward to reading more on your blog.
    Denise P.

    ReplyDelete